Established in 2020, the Disability Thrive Initiative provides statewide training, support and resources on how to deliver and access alternative services for Californians with developmental disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Initiative will develop and share resources to help the disability community navigate the challenges of the current public health crisis. Through free webinars, peer-to-peer consultations and trainings, and a resource library, the Initiative will provide innovative, real-world examples of how to safely address the needs of individuals with IDD. Together, we can thrive!
The Disability Thrive Initiative is presented by the California Disability Services Association and Easterseals of Southern California, in collaboration with the State Council on Developmental Disabilities, The Arc of California and California Alliance for Leadership and Education. The initiative is generously funded by the California Department of Developmental Services and San Diego Regional Center.
SIGN UP FOR THE NEXT FREE STATEWIDE WEBINAR – WEDNESDAY, MAY 12 AT 3:00 P.M.
Planning for Community Reengagement in the Next Phase of Disability Services
Changes to COVID-19 restrictions are happening in communities across the state. Californians with developmental disabilities may soon be able to safely participate in more in-person programs. To meet individual needs, organizations who provide disability services can continue to offer remote or alternative services while reengaging site and community programs. Join our FREE webinar to learn how organizations providing transportation, residential, and day services are preparing for the next phase, including:
- Flexibility for changing service and support needs
- Safety changes to transportation services
- Combined site, community, and remote services
Space is limited! Please register today to hold your spot. American Sign Language and Spanish interpreters available.
Low Cost Internet & Phone Services
Communication Tools and Devices
Understanding Unconscious Bias & Embracing Cultural Diversity
The COVID-19 Vaccine and What It Means for the Disability Community
Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 3:00 – 4:15 pm
- English Recording
- English Slides
- A corresponding Spanish webinar was held on April 15, 2021. See Spanish recording and Spanish slides. (Un seminario web en español correspondiente se llevo acabo el 15 de abril de 2021. Vea la grabación en español y las diapositivas en español.)
As more people across the state receive immunization, communities will slowly be able to return to normal. Californians with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine, but information about the vaccine itself might be confusing or raise concerns. Whether you have a disability, have a family member with a disability, or provide services to someone with a disability, you need the facts. In this webinar, we heard directly from doctors about:
- What happens in your body when you get immunization and possible side effects
- How the vaccines were developed so quickly in this pandemic
- Who makes sure the COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective
Gain COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Support Strategies
Empowering People with Disabilities to Make Informed Life Decisions
Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 3:00 – 4:15 pm
Thriving during a pandemic is all about balancing risk and priorities. As health and safety measures continue to change, Californians with developmental disabilities have decisions to make about their healthcare and the supports they need to live their best lives. Join the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals for a training on the Informed Decision-Making process to learn:
- Why having choice is important for people with disabilities, even with risk involved
- The vital role of direct support professionals and family caregivers in supporting choice
THRIVE Through Person-Centered Planning During the Pandemic
Meeting Individual Needs through Adaptable Alternative Services
Unlocking Technology as a Key to Connection and Alternative Services
SIGN UP NOW!
Click here and sign up to receive notifications about upcoming webinars, or resources!
CONNECT WITH US!
- Every 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the Month at 3:00 p.m.
LUNCH & LEARNS TO THRIVE
- On the Fridays following each webinar, we will offer people with IDD, families/caregivers, and the organizations and staff who provide their support to take a deeper dive into topics related to accessing and receiving alternative services.
- Chat LIVE with our team
- Ask questions
- Share your ideas
- Brainstorm with others
- Get further assistance
Join our email list and receive regular updates on webinars and other opportunities to connect to resources.
Disability Thrive Initiative Virtual Office Hours
“Drop in” to ask questions and/or get help signing up for technical assistance and consultation for yourself or your team’s alternative services. Pre-register for the upcoming dates below:
In collaboration with